Pilotwings Nintendo 3ds Game Review

As a Pilotwings fanatic, this is a tough game for me to review. I'll start off reviewing it from an independent standpoint and will finish off with comparisons to Pilotwings 64 for those who grew up loving that game.


Graphics:
Resort is very Wii-like. A great improvement over the Nintendo DS graphics. If you've played Wii Sports Resort then you know what to expect. It's obviously more pixelated than Resort, but the small screens mask this really well. I enjoy the different times of day you can play through. It adds a greater sense of depth to the game as lights in buildings turn on as the game gets darker and there are different occurances depending on when you choose to play.


Audio:
I personally feel like the audio is not a strong point at all. There is one audio track each for the airplane, jetpack, and hang glider. I felt like this got very repetitive as I failed played more and more. They aren't bad by any means, but it would have been nice to have a little more variety.

Sounds throughout the game are very much like Resort. When piloting the airplane (whether flying, zooming or even shooting), the sounds are identical to resort.


Gameplay:
Great gameplay while it lasts. I felt the physics in the game were pretty accurate and never messed up unless it was my fault. This made playing and mastering the game more enjoyable, because i didn't have to worry about the game not responding well to my commands. It was just a matter of me getting better.

The game starts off extremely easy as you participate in 'Training Mode'. I know Nintendo has moved to a more casual audience, but I really don't appreciate holding their hand as they try to teach me how to play. At least make this an optional mode that you can access from the title screen. However, the difficulty progresses nicely as you access Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond and Platinum modes. I will say that I got three stars on EVERY mission on either the first or second playthrough. It was satisfying, but looking back, I would have like to sruggle a little more. It's pretty easy to get three stars, but nearly impossible at times to get a perfect score.


Replay Value:
Very short in terms of missions. You could get three stars on every level in under two hours if you get the hang of it. However, the game does have some legs to it. For starters, there are Dioramas (In-game trophies similar to Smash Brothers trophies) that you earn by completing certain tasks, whether it's getting three stars in every level or by finding hidden items in Free Flight Mode.

You can also spend several hours in Free Flight mode. Here you'll choose any aircraft that you've unlocked and are able to explore Wuhu Island. There are various objectives in this mode, ranging from flying through stunt rings or catching trophies and balloons. Finding balloons increases the time you are allowed to explore, which is very welcome considering you are initially only allowed two minutes. Ultimately, treasure hunting seem more gimmicky than fun, but that depends on the person. I could see it taking several hours to find everything. One thing to note, the more you collect, the more modes you unlock (sunset and night time). There's also a few surprises for fans of the series in Free Flight mode.


3D:
The 3D in the game adds a sense of depth. I would compare the 3D to a Magic Eye book. The image isn't popping out at you like you might expect, but it adds layers in the game that move away from you. It makes flying around more enjoyable and engaging. Its a subtle addition, but as I fly through rings or gather balloons, I can tell how far away they and I feel that it does improve my ability slightly.

One downside to it is that you have to train your eye to pick up on it. Its not as maddening as a Magic Eye, but it does make me slightly dizzy after a while. And if you look down at the bottom screen (map screen) and look back up, it takes a second to get used to it again. And if you move your head at all, you will see two hangliders as the screen distorts. Annoying, but manageable. It's a good thing you can turn the 3D off instantly and seamlessly though. Playing the game in 2D does not take away from the experience.


Comparison to Pilotwings 64:
This is where it was difficult for me. I considered myself to be a HUGE Pilotwings 64 fan. So much so that I have beaten the game over a dozen times. It was my favorite N64 game. Now, when comparing the 3DS version to the N64 version, I don't think it compares at all.

For starters, Pilotwings Resort has one island to navigate. The downside is that I've already lived and breathed this island with Wii Sports Resort. It's enjoyable, but it does get monotonous as you complete the game. Pilotwings 64 had FOUR islands (three being huge. I would compare Wuhu island on the 3DS to Crescent Island for Pilotwings 64, without all the surprises. I was very disappointed that this game couldn't be creative in its own right. But I do think Nintendo wanted to cash in on its Wii Sports Resort success. Wuhu doesn't even compare to Little America from N64. That level was much larger and had plenty of secrets to explore (teleporting stars, gas stations, changing night to day, etc.). Which leads to me to...

Weather. Pilotwings Resort has three different time modes...Daylight, sunset, and night time. This is almost the same as the N64 version except there isn't weather variables, such as cloudy skies, or even snow for that matter. I loved flying around Holiday Island being able to choose cloudy skies.

Flight modes are less diverse in Resort. Pilotwings Resort has two planes, two jetpacks, and two hangliders. There is the Wii Resort plane, but also a Fighter Jet plane that's really fast. The Jetpack mode also houses a Squirrel Suit in one level that "feels" similar to skydiving in the N64 version less the parachuting. The N64 did have bonus modes; however, such as Jumble Hopper (bouncing shoes), cannon, and sky diving. I was disappointed Nintendo didn't include these bonus modes in Resort.


Conclusion:
Pilotwings Resort is a fun and enjoyable, but short game. There are challenges that will remind you of Pilotwings 64. However, with just one island to explore, it's clear Nintendo is moving in a direction different from 1996 and I guess gamers are moving that way too. It's a little sad to see games like Pilotwings 64 will probably never see a true sequel. If you want an enjoyable Flight Simulator, pick this game up. If you're a Pilotwings 64 maniac, you might be a little disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment